Monday, December 5, 2016

DNA Extraction Lab

In this lab we asked the question, "How can DNA be separated from cheek cells in order to study it?" I found that DNA can be separated from cheek cells by scraping the cells from the cheek, then having the cells soak in gatorade (for coloring) and rubbing alcohol. Once the DNA was separated from the cheek cells, it slowly floated into the upper half of the test tube, where it was visible in the clear rubbing alcohol due to its pink-colored bits. The "Your Genetic Code Vodcast" states that nucleotides are made up of nitrogen, phosphate, and sugar. This data supports our claim because the make-up of the DNA allows it to float through the gatorade and into the rubbing alcohol.

Our data contradicts the unexpected results because we forgot to add the orange juice into our DNA mixtures. Another factor that contributed to our unexpected results was the fact that we had to figure out the steps of the procedure ourselves. Due to these errors, in future experiments I would recommend givings students 3 main steps in the correct order (steps that tell when to add the DNA, orange juice, and rubbing alcohol), then having the students try to place the rest of the steps in the correct order. I also recommend students to use a tube plug instead of their thumb. All of my group members and I used our thumbs to stop the liquid while we turned our tubes upside down, which caused some spilling of unpleasant DNA onto the table.

This lab was done to demonstrate the separation of DNA from cheek cells. From this lab I learned more bout the process of lysis, which is the dissolution or destruction of cells by lysins. This helps me understand the concept of DNA and the processes it goes through. Based on my experience from this lab, I can apply my knowledge to future labs about DNA.








No comments:

Post a Comment