Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Unit 4 Reflection

To further grasp the concept of punnett squares and probability, in this Coin Sex Lab we flipped coins as a fair way to guess the probability of traits that offspring could inherit. Practicing monohybrid and dihybrid punnett squares helped me learn more about how to predict probabilities. My actual results in the dihybrid cross simulation came out completely different than my expected results. Almost all of the genotypes were off, since coin flipping causes the outcomes to be completely, uncontrollably, random. Although punnett squares can be used to predict certain traits offspring could inherit, it is not entirely accurate. There could be so many outcomes, punnett squares just tell the probability of the outcomes actually occurring. This relates to my life because I now know how to predict the probability of my kids having brown eyes and other traits. It's also helpful because I can see if my sons have a chance of being bald, and if I have  a chance of inheriting any bad traits my parents have. This unit was about connecting the puzzle pieces of genetics together. My strengths were doing the punnett squares because I find those fun. My weakness in this unit was understanding the difference between haploid and diploid. I learned more about how the human body has copies of chromosomes and how one sex chromosome from each parent gets passed to the offspring. The infographic taught me how to organize information neatly, and how to use specific colors, such as pink and orange, to contrast each other. I enjoyed creating the infographic. I want to learn more about codominance and the outcomes from it. 
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dd/1909_US_Penny.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/92/Incomplete_dominance_punnett_square.png

No comments:

Post a Comment