Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Unit 7 Reflection

 A few major themes we talked about during this unit are biodiversity, ecology, and food webs/chain. Biodiversity is how the diverse species on Earth provide us with food, industrial products, and medicines. Ecology is the study of interactions between organisms and their environment. Food webs/chains consist of producers and consumers than can be herbivores, which are plant eaters, carnivores, which are meat eaters,  omnivores, which are everything eaters, or detrivores/decomposers, which eat decaying/non-living things.

I want to learn more about how to save endangered animals. Threats such as disease are a large factor that contributes to the death of animals such as the Tasmanian devil in Eastern tropical Australia. I wonder how many endangered species there are on this planet and if there are common threats which made those species endangered.

Since I am quite an assertive person, I found collaborating with my group members in the Ecology Conservation project fairly easy. The project was a success because we each individually completed our assigned work. No one completed anything late. All of our personalities somehow meshed, making it easier for us to problem-solve and find solutions.

I learned about how threats such as deforestation and mining destroy the environment and its animals. Construction also plays a role in the endangerment of animals, since in many cases animals fall into trenches, to their death. The ecosystem is very fragile and we must do what we can to protect it. My group came up with the solution to create more national parks to protect animals and the land around them.

I learned from the video that my dominant personality is being assertive. I am a fairly confident person and this helped me share my ideas to my group members because I wasn't afraid to speak up. Things I could do to be even more assertive would be to sit up straighter and try harder on maintaining good eye-contact.

Reflecting back on my New Year's Goals, I have started getting 7 hours of sleep every night, which is an improvement from last month.

No comments:

Post a Comment