Friday, September 23, 2016

Unit 2 Reflection

This unit contained information about how the molecular complexity  serves as the building blocks for life by bonding together and being the base of everything. It was also about the different types of carbohydrates, such as monosaccharides, which are very sweet and consist of one ring, disaccharides, which are somewhat sweet and consist of two rings, and polysaccharides, which taste plain and starchy, containing three or more rings.
Image result for carbohydrates








 I also learned about lipids, which are large molecules that include fats, phospholipids, oils, waxes, and cholesterol. Lipids are made up of long chains of carbon and hydrogen called fatty acids.




Image result for lipids


 Unit 2 also teaches about Enzymes and their structure of individual amino acids chained together, bonded by a peptide bond.
Image result for enzymes















An essential theme was understanding the structures of things such as carbohydrates, enzymes, and lipids. My strength was understanding the different types of carbohydrates.  I fully understood this topic Mr. Orre thoroughly explained it.
Image result for teaching










One of my weaknesses was understanding what exactly enzymes do. I did not fully understand the vodcast, "Messing with Enzymes," because I was absent the day it was explained in detail. I learned how to differentiate monosaccharides, disaccharides, and polysaccharides from eachother. The information was a bit difficult to grasp, but in the end, I was able to understand more about these topics which made me feel like a better student. I want to learn more about Polysaccharides and find out why they taste so plain. Image result for bread

No comments:

Post a Comment