Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Jean Lab Conclusion



In this lab we asked the question, "How does each concentration of bleach affect a 5x5 square of jeans?" We found that the bleach with the highest concentration whitened the jeans the most. We found that the 50% concentration bleach damaged and somewhat wore down the fabric. The 25% somewhat lightened the jeans, but did not damage the material. The 12.5% concentration of bleach barely lightened the fabric, and the water had no effect on the jeans. The highest concentration of bleach did the most damage to the jeans because it was the strongest and contained no water.
  While our hypothesis was supported by our data,  an error of letting the 50% soaked jeans sit in the water for longer than 2 minutes may have affected our results. This error could have caused the bleach to somewhat wash off of the jeans, giving inaccurate results. Another error was spilling bleach on the table. This did not affect our results, though Tyler and I did accidentally put our hands in the puddle of bleach several times. Due to these errors, in future experiments I would recommend assigning one person to timing each jean square that is soaked in water. In future experiments students should me more cautious not to spill bleach, and to notify other group members if bleach is spilled.
  This lab was done to demonstrate the affects that different concentrations of bleach have on 15 5x5 squares of jeans. From this lab I learned how to carefully do a step-by-step lab, which helps me understand the concept of the Scientific Method. Based on my experience from this lab, I can apply this knowledge of how different concentrations of bleach affect jeans, to my personal life, if I ever decide to lighten my jeans without destroying them.



No comments:

Post a Comment