Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Group 6 Pig Dissection

The fetal pig dissection was a very new and enjoyable experience. At first, the thought of even making physical contact with the pig made me cringe. Watching Mr. Orre's demonstration of how to make the first few incisions made me feel more comfortable, so immediately after being instructed on what to do, I turned around to my group and said "I WANT TO MAKE THE FIRST CUTS." I went from completely disturbed by the pig to completely in love with it. At first it was hard to figure out how deep each incision should be, then we finally got the hang of it. Each of my group members and I tried to be extremely careful that we didn't accidentally cut an organ. Breaking the ribs was kind of difficult, breaking the jaw was easier. I specifically liked the texture of the liver. On the second day I was suffering from a cold and did not want to go near the pig so Gabbi and I did most of the paperwork, figuring out the function of each part of the pig. It was really interesting to me that the intestines are very tightly together, and not actually able to fall out of a stomach if a person was stabbed. The overall experience was very fun, and my favorite part was holding the pig's hoof. I'm glad I got to experience this because it opened my eyes to new possible career options.


Here are some photos I took: 






No comments:

Post a Comment